As already noted, most often the level of this hormone is reduced in premenopausal women . To increase progesterone production, Sarah Gottfried advises the following:
* Take Vitamin C. “This is the only non-prescription nutraceutical treatment for low progesterone that has been proven effective. At a dosage of 750 mg per day, vitamin C gives rise to progesterone in both women with low progesterone and those who have luteal phase deficiency. And due to the ability of this vitamin to dissolve in water, any excess of it is excreted in the urine, ”the expert writes.
* More often with other people. “Progesterone is a stress-related hormone, and the attention of others helps women calm down. Proving closeness with a partner also increases saliva progesterone , ”recommends Sarah Gottfried.
* Refrain from coffee. “By raising cortisol, caffeine gives a temporary energetic boost, but we know that high cortisol blocks progesterone receptors,” warns Sarah Gottfried. “I have a systematic approach: switch from regular coffee to mate (Paraguayan tea) or green tea, then from mate or green tea to decaffeine green tea, and then to your favorite herbal tea, such as rooibos or fruit teas.” Alas, this rule applies not only to coffee, but also to alcohol. It also negatively affects hormonal balance.
Excess estrogen and deficiency are equally common. Some recommendations for normalizing this hormone are the same: for example, Sarah Gottfried advises giving up alcohol, coffee and caffeinated products. “They reduce the level of estradiol in women in pre-menopausal women . I recommend decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas, which also reduce hot flashes and improve sleep, if you choose herbs such as rhubarb root or valerian, ”the expert writes.
How to stabilize low estrogen
* Reduce gluten . “Between the sensitivity to gluten and a decrease in ovarian reserve there is a link, I recommend that women with low estradiol to stop the use in food gluten before the age of 40 years. There are many tasty options, but the main idea is to switch to unprocessed foods, such as fruits and vegetables, low-fat protein with each meal and carbohydrates that are gluten- free : brown rice or quinoa, ”advises Sarah Gottfried.
* Add flaxseed to your diet. “Flax seeds contain lignin – one of the main varieties of phytoestrogens that act as estrogen-like chemicals and serve as antioxidants. They increase estrogen production, ”says Sarah Gottfried.
* More orgasm. “Female body and sexual stimulation is raised estradiol in premenopausal women . This illustrates the concept of “use or throw away”: regular sexual intercourse and orgasm activate the blood flow, which massages, softens and thickens the external (external genital organs) and internal (vagina) tissues. An orgasm raises oxytocin, and in the female body, along with estrogen, it serves as a stress buffer, lowers cortisol and strengthens feelings of affection and love, ”the expert recommends.
* Do not exercise too much. “Exercise helps reduce the symptoms of low estrogen only if you’re thin,” says Sarah Gottfried. “ Overweight women actually increase their vasomotor symptoms, such as hot flashes and night sweats, if they put in too much physical effort. If you are overweight or prone to injuries, then you’d better walk fast than run, jog one mile three times a week, and not six miles four times a week, pedal the simulator or ride a moderate bike speed. ”
* Take vitamin E and herbal collection. “St. John’s wort, a perennial plant, has been used in medicine since the time of Ancient Greece. Her yellow flowers are used to prepare herbal tea, tablets, capsules, liquid extracts and topical preparations for mild depression, anxiety and sleep disturbances. In a randomized trial involving women in the periods of premenopause , perimenopause and menopause, it was noted that after four weeks of treatment with this herb, tides significantly decreased, ”the expert recalls.
To stabilize him, Sarah Gottfried recommends the following:
* Reduce the amount of meat and dairy products from animals raised in a standard way. Choose herbal-fed organic beef and reduce its serving to a minimum.
* Eat more prunes. “It has proven to reduce 16-alpha-hydroxy-estrone – the” less good “estrogen associated with breast and endometrial cancer,” the expert notes.
* Avoid lack of fiber. The increase in fiber reduces the level of estrogen and a high probability reduces the risk of breast cancer. Optimum dose: from 35 to 45 g per day.
* Lose weight. “If you suffer from excess weight or obesity, weight loss will reduce both excess estrogen and the risk of breast cancer and other diseases, and protect your body from problems arising from the fact that the body is forced to carry unnecessary weight. Body mass index should be from 21 to 25, ”recalls Sarah Gottfried.
* Go to bed around ten in the evening. If you go to bed before ten in the evening, this contributes to the optimal production of melatonin – a hormone that lowers estradiol .
* Eat seaweed, turmeric and take hops in tablets. All of these supplements reduce estrogen production. Follow these guidelines to balance your hormone levels.